Monday, May 31, 2010

Love, ever flowing

Perhaps, it was the grey stillness in the air. Perhaps, it was the constant chronic nerve pain I live with, for which there is no cure or efficacious treatment. Perhaps, it was the feeling of being so different from the rest of the world. But, my heart ached all morning as I asked God to speak to me.

"I am listening." I begged.

Thirty minutes ago, this very evening, Veronica, a neighbor knocked on my door, gently. I had just prepared what was to be my dinner of soda crackers, honey and water. I heard the soft knock. I opened the door, and my sweet elderly neighbor handed me a basket and quickly turned away. All I could see was her shawl swaying in the dusk. Once inside, I opened the basket. It was filled with fried chicken, potatoes, fresh Cole slaw, warm bread. It was exactly the comfort food meal I had dreamed of this Memorial Day weekend. I devoured it. The gift meant all the more in the knowledge of Veronica's limited finances. She lives alone with her cat. They eat their meals together, and for dessert they share spoonfuls of whipped cream.

I cried unabashedly, unreservedly. Then, I felt drawn to the door once again. Someone had left a card on the door frame. I looked at the envelope. My name was handwritten on it. Inside was a card with a prayer for my physical health. A husband and wife who recently moved into the neighborhood signed it, "With Love."

I stood there humbled. I had barely spoken three words to that couple. We were strangers, in every way. How had they known I was not well? I certainly had never mentioned it to them. But, there was the card in my hand, and the nourishing food in my belly.

Oh, my dearest reader, sweet friend, I cried. I had to send this letter to you. I had to write you this very instant and share this story because no one else would believe such a tale. Two hugs from God in the space of thirty minutes?! How could such a series of events be real? But, it is all too true. Of course, I feel unworthy. But, if God can love one such as me, then all the more reason why God should love you who are in the world making a difference.

Knowing you are out there, reading my letters, knowing you care, I love you too. There is violence, chaos, and depth of despair in the outside world. But, here on this page, there is the peace, hope, and infinity of the faith-filled bond between us. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment