Saturday, June 5, 2010

Sunshine on Main Street

The Farmer's Market was alive with flowers, produce, live fiddle music, and people. Love was in the air, as neighbors hugged one another, all smiles and laughter. Everything was beautiful this June morning, as I walked over the cross bridge to the town center. The merchants were just opening their shops. "Hello!" They greeted me as I passed. "Are you on your way to the market?" They asked. "Yes, I had better hurry, but I'll come back on the way home. I promise." Skipping was easier than walking. Singing came more naturally than talking. Love was indeed in the air, and this morning's Main Street became a stage-theater musical.

By the time I arrived at the market, the farmers had their white canopies up to protect them from the summer heat. Grand Pa was in his seat as usual sharing stories. Grand Pa is every one's grand father, beloved by all. Adults, from near and far, eagerly listen by his feet. Grand Pa sells trees and plants that he grows in his home nursery. Mama Carol and Papa Glenn, in the next door stall, sell vegetable-plants, and flowers. Yes, Carol is loving mother, and Glenn is doting father to all men, women, and children. In fact, the entire Farmer's Market feels like holiday homecoming, every Saturday morning!

After a half hour's visit, I hugged the hard working farmers tightly. "Good-bye!" I waved. "Good-bye, little one!" They waved back.

True to my promise, I made my way back by way of Main Street. Merchants came out to greet me, as I walked by. "Don't forget to eat something!" They smiled. "What should I eat?" I asked, suddenly realizing that I was hungry. "Go see Joan and Judy! They will fix you something good."

I listened to their suggestion. Joan and Judy had been watching and listening as I walked up the sidewalk. By the time, I arrived at their food stall, they were ready for me with a big plate of shredded beef roast on a bed of cool crisp lettuce and fresh sour cream. As I sat by the fountain, listening to the cascading water, Judy brought me an old-fashioned soda in a glass of crushed ice. I could taste the love in each bite of the food they had prepared, so much so, I asked for seconds!

Newly fortified, I sought the used bookstore for a brief respite from the midday sun. The stacks of books provided shade and inspiration. All the lovely books called out, "Read me!" The Wise Women of the bookstore asked me for books on tea. "Yes, I have many such books. I shall bring some in next time I visit." I answered.

Now, it was time to climb the gently sloping hill home. Two tourists were lost as I crossed the street. I offered directions. They stared at me for a moment, perplexed. I understood their confusion, so I explained, "This is a village. We're all related, and we help each other."

"Do you live here?" The husband and wife asked. I smiled, and replied, "Yes."

The creek giggled with glee, ever so slightly, as I walked over the cross bridge. Destination; home.

No comments:

Post a Comment