Monday, June 21, 2010

The Love We Share...

Albert, one of the bus drivers of the Whistle Stop Express, gave me the change to board, as I did not have any coins today. I was so overjoyed at his loving generosity that I failed to realize the van was headed in the opposite direction I needed to go. So, Albert paused and calmly told me not to worry. He called the next Whistle Stop van due to arrive and asked them to wait for me, explaining that I had paid my fare. "Here, show this to the next driver." Albert gave me his handwritten note. I thanked him, and made a mental note to ask him for his recipe for egg salad sandwiches, and zucchini bread. The drivers of the Whistle Stop are all so kind and patient, and giving of themselves.

Main Street was bright with sunshine, and a cool breeze kept it comfortable. Having been placed on a strict diet due to health reasons, I have not had a hot dog to eat in months. But, today, I made up my mind to indulge myself. Joan and Judy, who own the tiny food stall, greeted me. "What would you like?" Judy asked. Joan and Judy work hard, six days a week, in the grueling summer heat, and icy winter cold. In their spare time, they feed the homeless, though they are too humble to admit this. But, I have seen them. Strong, tough, hard as rock on the outside, but tender-hearted on the inside. I could not make up my mind what to order. Joan waited patiently by the grill. "Okay, I would like a...hot dog!" I exclaimed. "Wonderful. And, what would you like on that?" Judy asked. "Mustard, ketchup, relish, guacamole, and sour cream!" I practically leaped in the air, I was so excited. Then, I added, "I would like a soda pop, in a glass, filled with ice." Judy told me to find somewhere to sit. "I'll bring it out to you when it's ready." She said.

There were many tourists in our town today. I was delighted to see them of course. The merchants work selflessly on behalf of others. Main Street merchants are deserving of our support. As Main Street goes, so goes the nation.

But, I wanted to eat in a quiet place. I found a nook just by the creek that runs through the center of town. Slender willows, and smooth river rocks surrounded me. I almost fell asleep to the gentle rustling of the leaves, and the sound of the rushing water. "I found you!" Judy smiled. She placed the deep fried hot dog piled high with condiments, guacamole and sour cream. She even remembered how much I enjoy drinking soda pop through a straw. "Here is a straw for you, and some napkins. Enjoy your little hiding place." She said. "No," I corrected her. "It's my healing place." I smiled too.

I enjoyed the meal immensely. Yes, I could taste the love that Joan and Judy put in to the preparation of it, in each bite I took. I thanked them as I walked by their stall. " I loved it!" I said with glee.

Thus fortified with childhood comfort food, I continued my walk down Main Street. I smiled at all the people that walked by. They smiled back. It was a perfectly loving way to begin the week.

My goal was the used book store. One of the Wise Women who owns and runs it had sent me a note last Friday. "I have a gift for you. Come." The note read.

As always, the used book store was packed with books and people. I waited until the faerie-clad Old Wise Woman had a free moment. "You told me to come and see you." I said. "Yes! this is a miniature book from my own private collection. It is for you." She said, and handed me the palm-sized treasure, knowing how much I love miniature books. It was a book on Man and Symbols of the Soul and Psyche. "Thank you, I love it!" I said. And, I meant it, having just finished The Ring of The Nibelung by Wagner. I needed to be reminded of the light once again. Wagner taught me that the object of our desire, whether it be hot dogs or rings of gold, if allowed to become all-consuming addictions can lead to our ultimate self-destruction. We must recognize when it is time to let go, and then have the strength to do it. In releasing the object of desire, we release ourselves from its power over us.

Another Wise Woman, the long dark haired one, began her belly dance, wiggling her hips, waving her arms in the air, stomping the floor with her right foot with such power and force that none of us in the shop could resist her non-verbal command to rise up and dance. We were the belly dancers, men and women, dancing in celebration of life! We ended the belly dance in a communal hug. The long dark haired Wise Woman sang out in gypsy tones, "Huggapalooza! It's a huggapalooza!" And, yes, it was.

The laughter and joy carried out into the street. Oh, dear reader, God is love!

No comments:

Post a Comment