Monday, August 9, 2010

Butterflies are free...

In the blistering heat, the inside of the post office is cool and refreshing. Lark and David, behind the counter, help all of us who have gathered in the quiet. Long-haired Lark, the elven queen, offers to search for packages. David, much like his scriptural namesake, strong and ruddy-faced, lifts heavy parcels. We, the customers, complain not, as we wait. Time passes slowly in the shaded interior. Antique stamp displays intrigue us as Lark and David dance their well coordinated ballet---and yes, it is beautiful.

Customers inside the small brick building smile at one another. We speak to each other of the weather and ceiling wax, and of cabbages and kings. There is always such a sense of deep abiding love, and childhood wonder inside our post office. The desire to hug one another is strong, as we purchase envelopes and postage. "It's good to see you!" David calls out. "Take care and be well." Lark blesses us as we leave.

Today, the sun is especially bright, but the soft breeze is comforting.

All is right with the world. Poppy colored butterflies flit by. The Wise Women of the used book store gaze upon me from afar, and sing out in siren-song. "Come. We have a book on hold for you. It is a special book, about a porcelain rabbit that goes on a solitary but miraculous journey!" I purchase the book, and several others. I can't resist. Reading in bed by the light of candle and moon is one of my most favorite pleasures. I continue on my walk, brown-paper wrapped parcel under my arm.

In the woods near my home, a little old man feeds the wild cats. I see this man throughout the seasons, Winter, Spring, Summer, and even now as we humbly approach the Fall. He stands watch over his cats as they eat. "His little children." I think to myself. Perhaps it is not being loved, rather the ability to love someone, or something else, that truly makes us feel human.

There is a picnic table, protected from the elements, where seniors gather in the afternoon. They share tea-cakes and laughter. They reminisce joyfully, as they toss back the last of the summer wine.

I wave as I walk by. God is good. Oh, dearest reader! How blessed we are to love, and be so loved in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment