Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Loving Family

In the post, I received an invitation. It was a beautiful card from my friend who lives in the far away land of the Eastern shore. My friend is a wife, mother, and cosmopolitan woman, urbane, witty, upwardly mobile, and fashionably accomplished. Knowing how I cherish news from the greater world, my good friend sends me notes, and letters, and photos.

The correspondence I receive from her is something I treasure, and look forward to each day. Through her written words, and photographs, she makes me feel included as part of her family. I admire her so very much. She has three children, and loves them all equally. But, on this day, Saturday, her son celebrated his Bar Mitzvah. She has every right to be extra proud of him today. On this day, her little thirteen year old boy became a man, in the eyes of God and community.

In essence, her little boy, now a man, has accepted the mantle, honor and responsibility of adulthood. In front of extended family and friends, her son said, "Yes, God."

I remember when I celebrated my Confirmation. I, too, was asked to stand before my community, my tribe, and claim my Rite of Passage into adulthood. I, too, was asked to say, "Yes", to God.

It is an adult question that requires an adult response. My friend's son, possessed the wisdom and maturity to stand, and rise to the occasion. Yes, my friend has every right to be proud of her son, and all that he was able to accomplish.

For my part, I am proud of my friend, and the job she did as mother.

My friend lives in a big city. While I live in a tiny rural town. We are city mouse, and country mouse. We live different lives. But, what keeps us connected?

All people are different from each other. Our differences set us apart in unique and wondrous ways. Despite these outward differences, that which we have in common is infinitely more powerful, infinitely more beautiful.

Each of us, whether city mouse, or country mouse, rich or poor, healthy or physically challenged, is called upon at some specific moment or another, to stand, rise, and proclaim before God and community, "Yes!"

Among other things, we share a bond of love and faith. It is this bond that unites us, making us a vast human family.

Pax, Shalom, Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment