Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Elder Women....

My Messengers of Light, throughout life, have been the elder prayerful women. During moments of greatest need, these strong courageous women have simply been put in my path. Long, long ago, they might have been called crones, midwives, medicine women, sages.


These women were brave enough to see past what I looked like on the outside. They saw me through eyes of love. They didn't preach. But, in their actions towards me there was love. I was hungry. On the side of the old highway leading away from the town, an angel stopped her car and handed me a five dollar bill and said, "Go to the sandwich shop up ahead. Buy yourself a turkey and Swiss cheese sandwich with lettuce and tomato, and a large drink. You can't be happy if you're hungry." Then, she drove away. Sometimes these Messengers of Light come into our lives for just a moment.---And yes, I did buy that sandwich. I could taste the love in each bite. I still savor the memory of it.


Sometimes Messengers of Light come into our lives and stay a while. There are burning bushes all around us, if only we have eyes to see.


On that same old highway months later in the spring, I walked, feeling so alone and forgotten. The sun was bright. I looked up into the sky. From a distance I saw her. The sadness in her eyes was palpable. She walked towards me in order to get to the town center. For some inexplicable reason, perhaps moved by the Spirit, I hugged her, a complete stranger. And to my surprise she hugged me back! She cried and cried, and shared her story. She was a wife, mother and grandmother. She lived here in this country by herself, and worked two jobs, and sent all her earnings back home to Mexico. Her husband was extremely ill. His medical expenses exceeded the family's budget. Her daughters were in college. Their tuition had to be paid. Her grand children's grammar school also had to be paid. This woman who was well into her sixties scrubbed pots, washed floors, cleaned houses, seven days a week! My heart broke. But, in that moment there was Grace.


These elder prayerful women walked with me on my journey through the wilderness, and continue to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment