Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Evening Post...

"Let's call him Burrito?" I had written to Christine, my faraway friend regarding her new baby donkey. Today was a day for writing heartfelt letters to friends near, and not so near (but just as loved). I read Christine's note which she sent in reply. "Burrito would be a perfectly lovely name," she answered. Her letter made me feel so connected to a sense of loving family, the human family. We're all part of an ever-expanding circle of Light.

My friend's letter, though brief, was powerful. It was filled with images of farms, gardens of pumpkins and sunflowers, and big red barns. She wrote of her Amish neighbors and the country-side. Her note was a warm embrace. It made me feel less alone. But, of course, no one is ever less alone than one who is alone with God. Perhaps, when we get a bit too lonely, God sends us just the right hug. And then, we feel euphoric. It seems, it takes so little on the part of God to inspire in us such a depth of emotion.

Filled with the love from my friend's note, I rushed outside to post my letters before our mail-carrier came to pick up the last of the day's out-going mail. I greeted the few neighbors that I saw. "Hello!" I exclaimed, smiling as I waved. They smiled politely. Mareda, one of the prayerful elder women, stopped to make conversation. "Have you been on vacation?" She asked. "No, not at all." I responded. "I haven't seen you. It's been almost a week!" She said.

Rachel, another of my prayerful elder women neighbors also met me on the road by the mail box. "I have a gift for you." She said. "A gift for me?" I asked. Rachel is a person who lives on meager means, yet she is one of the richest people I know. She gives so generously of herself. "Do you like Edgar Allen Poe?" She asked. "I love Edgar Allen Poe!" I answered. Rachel handed me a palm-sized hardcover book with gilded edges. "You're giving this to me?!" I asked, looking at the treasure in my hand. "Yes." She answered simply, softly, affectionately. I am a self-confessed biblio-maniac, and I only just adore small-sized books! So much so, in fact, I have a special shelf in my bookcase dedicated to old small books.

Who am I that I should be so loved by God that He would send me these hugs, on the days when I need them most? But, maybe that is the Glory of God, that each of us is so loved, in such a deeply personal and intimate way?

I waved to the mail-carrier as he drove to the next hill. I am looking forward to tomorrow's post. What will it bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment